There are many of us who may want to wear makeup but haven’t got the slightest idea where to start. If you are one of those, well you have come to the right place. Let’s start with the basics-the lips. Lipstick/lip gloss provides the final touch to your makeup, without it no look is complete. For a perfect result, you will need a steady hand, some practice, the correct implements and some knowledge of the correcting techniques.
What you will need:
· A narrow, flat ended brush
· A selection of finely sharpened lip pencils/ lip liner
· Lip gloss
· Lip stick (either the conventional tube lipstick or the cream type with a sponge-tip applicator.)
N.B.: If your lip colour is uneven, then you will need a special lip base or balancer. Use a lighter tone on the dark areas and a dark tone on the light areas. These balancers also form a base for lipstick and help to keep the colour of the lipstick pure and clear.
Step 1: Choosing the right shade
Before outlining the lips check that your lips are smooth and grease free. Choose a lip liner that complements your skin tone. Choose a lighter shade of lipstick and one more shade that's lighter than the lip liner and lipstick. Make sure all three shades of makeup complement your skin tone and each other.
Step 2: Outlining with lip liner
Use a sharp lip liner pencil in a shade close to that of your lipstick colour and with a steady hand, lightly outline the lips. For the upper lip, start at the centre and work out, towards the corner of the mouth. For the lower lip, work from side to side.
Step 3: Priming the lips with a lip balancer
Fill in the lips with a special base or balancer to even out the skin tones. If your lips are of an even colour, use a face powder as a base.
Step 4: Filling up with lipstick
Apply the next lighter shade of lipstick to your lips, concentrating most of it toward the centre. Allow the lip liner colour to stand out around the edge. Using a lip brush, fill in the colour. For the upper lip, start at the centre and work outwards. On the lower lip work from side to side. Do not pile up too much colour. It is much easier to add some more later than to remove any excess.
Step 5: Finishing up with the lip stick
Use the lightest shade to place a small area of highlighter colour in the centre of your bottom lip and under the Cupid's Bow, or centre of your top lip. Smudge in lightly.
Step 6: Blotting Off
Fold a clean tissue and place it between your lips. Press the lips lightly together to remove the excess colour and to help seal the remainder, so that it stays on the lips rather than moving onto every glass you use. Apply powder to your lips to set the colour and make it look natural. Concentrate the powder around the edges for a natural look.
Step 7: The finishing touch
Finally finish with a lip gloss to get a gleaming look. Apply some light clear gloss for a dewy look. Put the gloss only toward the centre of your bottom lip.
Please note: Females with extra-full lips, should use lip gloss very sparingly.
Shaping Up Your Lips:
Through some knowledge of what you can do to correct lip shape you can truly achieve a perfect finish to your face. Study the shape of your lips, identify the defects, if any, and decide on what you want to achieve and then proceed.
1. Small Mouth, With Small Lips
These are easily corrected by taking the lip liner pencil outside the natural lip line. Work slowly and steadily to form a perfect shape. Fill in with primer and finally with the lipstick. A highlight of frosting on the upper lip would also create an impression of fullness.
2. Large Mouth With Full Lips
Apply liquid foundation makeup to the entire mouth, then outline with a dark shade of lipstick just inside the natural contours of the mouth. Then apply lipstick of a lighter shade carefully and accurately within this outline. Subdued shades work well for this kind of mouth. Use medium toned lip colours and avoid dark browns, plums, electric brights or pale shimmer shades.
3. Full Upper Lip
Apply fluid foundation makeup to the upper lip. Outline just inside its natural contour and apply a dark shade of lipstick. Then outline the lower lip just outside its natural contour and emphasize by filling in with a lighter shade of lipstick.
4. Full Lower Lip
Outline upper lip just outside its natural contour. Apply a light shade of lipstick and in the centre add a touch of lip gloss. Apply fluid foundation makeup to the lower lip. Outline just inside its natural contour. Then fill in with a darker shade of lipstick, using a lip brush.
5. Wide Mouth
Cover the corners of the mouth with foundation makeup or a cover stick. Apply lipstick with a lip brush, stopping a few millimetres before the corners of the mouth are reached.
If makeup has to be touched up during the day, only powder makeup should be applied, using a brush. Use gentle patting strokes and blot the excess off.
Tips and tricks:
· For long lasting lip colour, apply sheer layer of foundation on lips, dust powder on them and then colour them. This also helps lipstick not to change its colour on dark lips.
· Choose a lip liner close to lipstick colour to define the shape of lips.
· To make your lips look thicker, make the outline just outside your natural lip line while for thinner lip look; place the outline just inside the natural lip line.
· Fill the defined shape with lipstick using a brush and blend the colour well with the outline until the latter is not noticeable.
· Lipsticks can be glossy, matte, creamy or frost ones. Choose the one that suits you and do not make the skin on lip look dried and chipped.
· A sheer tinted gloss look can also be achieved by sucking on the Popsicle of desired shade!
· Apply two coats of lipstick for longer durability. After the first coat, press the lips on a tissue paper and then apply the other coat.
· Outlining of the lips prevents lip colour bleeding.
· Lip-gloss can be applied on lipstick or used alone for a nude look.
· Gloss makes lips appear fuller, so women with thicker lips should avoid using it.
There you have it folks another Homemade Beauty Tip brought to you by 'As told by Nella' I hope you've enjoyed it! Have a wonderful day!!!
With Love and Sweet Kisses,